Common Proficiency Test(CPT) is an entry level test for Chartered Accountancy Course which is designed in the pattern of entry level test for engineering, medical, etc. It is an objective type test based on multiple choice questions with negative marking. Students interested in pursuing the Chartered Accountancy course have to get the entry by clearing the Common Proficiency Test. A student can apply for CPT Registration in any of the three ways:
- Submitting the prescribed form which can be obtained from any branch of the institute on payment of Rs.100.
- Downloading the form from the ICAI website here.
- Online Submission of CPT Registration Form here.
Eligibility for CPT Registration
Student who has appeared and cleared the Class 10 examination conducted by an recognized body may register for Common Proficiency Course.
A registered student may appear in CPT after he has appeared in the 10+2 examination conducted by an recognized body.
CPT exams are held in June & December every year. A student who has got himself registered for CPT 60 days prior to the first day of the month in which CPT examination is to be held i.e. on or before 1st April and 1st October, can appear in the CPT examination to be held in June and December respectively.
Subject & Syllabus for CPT
Subjects covered in Common Proficiency Course are:
SESSION – I (Two Sections – Two hours – 100Marks)
• Section A: Fundamentals of Accounting ( 60Marks )
• Section B: Mercantile Laws ( 40Marks )
SESSION – II (Two Sections – Two hours – 100 Marks)
• Section C: General Economics ( 50 Marks )
• Section D: Quantitative Aptitude ( 50Marks )
The Common Proficiency Test(CPT) is of 200 marks. This test is divided into two sessions of two hours each.
After registration students will get study materials of all the four subjects form the ICAI along with Model Test Papers, question bank for self–assessment which is available in CD-ROM along with the set of study materials.
Fee Structure for CPT Registration
CPT Registration fee to be submitted along with the application form is as below:
|Cost of CPT Prospectus||Rs. 100|
|CPT Registration fee||Rs. 6000|
|Subscription for Students’ Journal (for one year) (Optional but strongly recommended)||Rs. 200|
|Subscription for Members’ Journal (for one year) (Optional)||Rs. 400|
Following documents needs to be attached with the CPT Registration Form:
- Demand Draft towards registration fee in favour of “The Secretary, The Institute of Chartered Accountant of India”, in case the CPT Registration form is filled online, payment is required to be done via credit/debit card.
- Attested copy of Class 10 mark sheet as Date of Birth proof
- Attested copy of Class 12 mark sheet, not required in case of provisional registration
Passing Criteria for CPT
Students are required to obtain minimum of 30% marks in each subject and minimum of 50% in aggregate all subjects to crack the CPT exams. 1 mark would be awarded for each correct answer and 0.25 marks is deducted for each wrong answer.
Commerce Graduates with 55% and above and Non-Commerce Graduates with 60% and above are exempted from appearing for CPT. More details regarding the CPT exemption can be checked here.